A Great Place For U
page info

Starting a Business

Thank you for choosing the City of Union as the proposed location of your business. We are here to serve you and make your "opening experiences" with the City as easy as possible. This guide is not intended to be comprehensive, but rather to direct inquiries on specific questions. For detailed information, inquire with the Community Development Department at City Hall, phone (636) 583-3600 ext.  1110.   


Before signing a lease or purchasing a building site, make certain your intended use is compatible with the City of Union Zoning Code.

Zoning and signage regulations are located in Section 405 of City Code.


Occupancy Permit

 All new businesses as well as businesses with a change in use, tenancy or ownership must obtain an Occupancy Permit. An Occupancy Permit is issued after inspection approval by the Union Fire Protection District.  Please call (636) 583-2515 to schedule an inspection.



To ensure compliance with the City and Fire District codes, every new business and every change of use, tenancy or ownership must have inspection approval of the premises by the City Building Department prior to opening. Any new construction or alterations to the structural, plumbing, or electrical systems require the appropriate City Permits.

For City inspections call (636) 583-1805.


Food Service Establishments

Food service establishments must have an inspection approval from the Franklin County Health Department. To schedule an inspection, call (636) 583-7300.


Business Registration

Companies doing business in Missouri must register with the State. Unincorporated businesses must also file if they do business under any title other than the actual name of the owner. For specific information on incorporation, registration procedures, fictitious name, etc., contact:

Corporations Division Office of the Secretary of State
P.O. Box 778 Jefferson City, Missouri 65102
(573) 751-4153 or (314) 340-7490

All businesses are required to have a City of Union business license. Apply at the Community Development office located at City Hall, 10 E. Locust Street, Union, MO 63084.  Application fee is $50.00.   Business Licenses are issued from May 1 to April 30.  Fees are not pro-rated.

The business license will not be issued until you have your occupancy permit and state sales tax number (if applicable). For more information, visit our business license section. 


License Renewal

Business licenses expire on April 30 of each year. City licenses are not automatically renewed. Renewal applications will be mailed to all licensees in March. The completed application and fee must be returned for processing by May 1. When the application renewal is approved, a new license will be issued.  Failure to renew your license may result in additional fines and court costs.

All businesses are to be current in the payment of all taxes to the Director of Revenue before renewing their business license. All delinquent taxpayers will be required to present a Statement of No Tax Due.


Water and Sewer Service 

You can start your water and other City utility services by visiting City Hall, 10 E. Locust Street, Union, MO.  Office hours are Monday-Friday, 8:00am-4:30pm, except holidays. You may also call the Utility Billing Department at (636) 583-3600 ext. 1106.

If you need water or sewer connection to the premises, call (636) 583-1805.  An inspection and connection fee will be required.


Use Sales Tax Code

On Sales Tax Returns to the State, be sure to use Union's City Tax Code #74626-071-000, if located in the city limits of Union, but not within one of the three (3) Community Improvement Districts (CID).   This will ensure your business is credited with collecting the proper amount of tax.

Missouri Department of Revenue Sales/Use Tax Rate Tables

Note:  Union has three (2) Community Improvement Districts (CID), which assess additional sales tax.  

  • East Main & Highway 47 CID  
  • Dickey Bub CID  - only applies to Dickey Bub
Contact City Hall at 636-583-3600, extension 9 if you are unsure as to which taxing district your business is located.  


Missouri Business Portal

Check out the state's Missouri Business Portal to find out all you need to know about how to start and maintain a business in the state of Missouri. For business-related questions, call the State of Missouri at 866-870-6500.